Friday, August 1, 2008

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going......

Twenty-five days into J&K posting, Gaonkar dies in action in Rajouri

"What is the use of all these people here when I have lost the one person who means the most?” asks a devastated 29-year-old Akansha Ajit Gaonkar.

Her family had received a call from the Army at 10.30 am on Tuesday, informing them that her husband, 32-year-old Army Naik Ajit Shivaji Gaonkar, had died.

Amidst the gloominess pops up a tiny face with hope written on it. Six-year-old Omkar doesn’t want to cry in front of his mother. The pain is there but he puts up a brave face.

“I know what’s happened to dad, but I am concerned about my mom. She has not eaten since she heard the news,” he says, sitting next to his younger brother who is asleep. Ask him what he will do now, and comes a pat reply, “I will do my best to take care of my family.”

No comments: